Residency Requirements

Residency classification for tuition purposes is governed by state law (Title 23, Article 7, C.R.S. 1973). The college is required to apply the rules set forth in the law and does not have authority to make exceptions unless specifically permitted by law.

You are initially classified as resident (in-state) or non-resident (out-of-state) based on the information provided on your admissions application. Once the status is determined, it remains unchanged in the absence of satisfactory evidence to the contrary. In addition, you must submit the appropriate residency form to the Office of Registration & Records before tuition classification will be reviewed again.

New Students

New students who are classified as non-resident and believe they qualify for in-state tuition have until census date of their earliest-starting class to request a correction by completing the Amended Application Form. The deadline for the Amended Application is the census date for the semester a student is seeking in-state tuition. No Exceptions.


Amended Application Deadlines (Census Date)

  • Spring 2018 - Friday, February 2, 2018
  • Summer 2018 - Friday, June 8, 2018
  • Fall 2018- Thursday, September 6, 2018

Continuing Students & Individuals Emancipated Prior to 22 Years of Age

Continuing students who attended CCD and have paid non-resident tuition, or any student under 23 who was emancipated prior to 22 years of age, shall have up to 30 days from the first day of class to complete the Petition for In-State Tuition. There are no exceptions.


Petition for In-State Tuition Deadlines (due within first 30 days of class) 

  • Spring 2018 - Wednesday, February 14, 2018 
  • Summer 2018 - Wednesday, June 27, 2018
  • Fall 2018 -  Tuesday,  September 18, 2018


The law requires an individual to be domiciled in the state for one year or more continuously prior to the first day of class to be eligible for in-state tuition. “Domicile” is a legal term that refers to the place where an individual has shown intent to make a permanent home and legal residence. Having domicile involves more than just having physical presence or “residence” in the state. Physical presence coupled with intent to remain in Colorado permanently is required for domicile. Retaining ties with your former state of residence and failure to comply with laws expected of all permanent residents of CO provides evidence against CO domicile.

An individual must surrender all legal ties with their former state of residence to show the intent to make CO their permanent place of habitation and legal residence.

The following can be used to document intent. However, no one factor alone is sufficient.

  • Colorado driver license or valid Colorado ID
  • Colorado motor vehicle registration
  • Permanent, full-time, off-campus employment
  • Colorado voter registration
  • Payment of Colorado state income taxes as a Colorado resident
  • Ownership of residential property in Colorado

Only qualified individuals may establish domicile. A qualified individual must be a U.S Citizen or eligible Non-U.S Citizen in one of the following categories at the beginning of the one year domicile period:

  • 22 years of age or older – individuals 22 years of age are eligible to establish domicile in CO. The one year domicile period begins only after attaining 22 years of age. Therefore, an individual may qualify for in-state tuition after reaching 23 years of age.
  • Married – one year domicile period begins only after date of marriage.
  • Emancipated minor - Individuals under 22 years of age are eligible to establish domicile only if they are not supported by their parent(s) and are able to meet all ordinary and necessary expenses independently. The one year domicile begins only after date of emancipation.
    • Emancipation requires the individual’s parents or legal guardians to no longer support the minor and make no provision for support.  Receipt of gifts, trust funds, loans, and assets established by parents or someone other than yourself on your behalf provides evidence against emancipation.  In addition, parents must no longer claim the minor on their income taxes.  Minors must document that they are able to meet all financial obligations including tuition and fees without any financial assistance from any other individual.

Residency classification will be determined based off the information and documents submitted. The burden of proof is on the individual seeking in-state tuition. Please visit Office of Registration & Records on the first floor of the Confluence building on campus if you have any questions about the process (Room 114).

Related Links

Colorado Department of Higher Education Residency Guide
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding “In-State” Status

Non-U.S. Citizen Eligibility Requirements

Immigrant aliens are eligible to establish domicile under the same provisions as U.S. citizens. Students with Permanent Resident status, Asylees/Refugees, or under Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals may be considered as immigrant aliens for the purpose of tuition classification. Most other immigration statuses can also potentially qualify for in-state tuition; however the provisions of the visa may prevent attendance at an institution of higher education.

Non-immigrant aliens are legally incapable of establishing domicile, and cannot gain in-state tuition. F-1, F-2, H-3, M-1, and M-2 visa holders are considered nonimmigrant aliens. Additionally, J-1, J-2, and H-4 (if issued based on relationship to H-3 visa holder) visas are incapable of establishing domicile if the visa holder is in Colorado primarily to learn.

Colorado ASSET Bill

Senate Bill 13-033, also known as the Colorado ASSET bill, allows U.S Citizens, Permanent Residents, and students without lawful status to receive in-state tuition through attendance and graduation from a Colorado high school or through attendance at a Colorado high school combined with obtaining the GED. Students may gain residency through meeting these requirements instead of following the traditional domicile path. Qualifying through ASSET is the only way for undocumented students to receive in-state tuition classification.

ASSET stands for Advancing Students for a Stronger Economy Tomorrow.

To qualify for Colorado ASSET in-state tuition, an undocumented student must:

  • Have attended a public or private high school in Colorado for at least three years immediately before graduating or earning a general equivalency diploma (GED) in Colorado. Three years is defined as six academic terms from three separate years immediately preceding graduation or completing the Colorado GED.
  • Be admitted to a Colorado college or university within 12 months of graduation from a Colorado high school or completion of a Colorado GED OR graduated from a Colorado high school or completed a Colorado GED before September 1, 2013 and have continuous physical presence in Colorado for 18 months preceding the start of the semester.
  • Complete an affidavit with the College Opportunity Fund (COF), indicating that you have applied for legal presence or will apply as soon as you are eligible to do so.

As with the traditional domicile path, residency classification will be determined based off the information and documents submitted by the student. The burden of proof is on the individual seeking in-state tuition. 

Additional Information & Resources for ASSET, DACA and Undocumented Students
ASSET Eligibility Calculator
College In Colorado: Colorado ASSET

Honorably Discharged Veterans

Honorably Discharged Veterans of the Armed Forces of the United States (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard), who otherwise would not qualify for in-state tuition as one-year residents of Colorado, can apply for in-state tuition. Complete and submit the US Armed Forces Veteran Residency Requirement Waiver, including a certified copy of your Form DD214. This form must be submitted within 30 days of the first day of class.

Active-Duty Members of the U.S. Armed Forces

Active-duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces and their legal dependents stationed in Colorado on a permanent change-of-station basis or on a temporary assignment to duty in Colorado or a member of the military force of Canada and their legal dependents claiming exemption to in-state residency requirements are also able to qualify for in-state tuition. Complete and submit the Active Duty Military Residency Requirement Waiver within 30 days of the start of classes. Be sure to include a copy of Certificate of Eligibility (COE).

Western Undergraduate Exchange Program (WUE)

The Western Undergraduate Exchange Program (also known as WUE) is for non-residents of Colorado who maintain residency with another qualified state to receive reduced tuition rates. Time spent in Colorado under the WUE program will not count towards the 12-month domicile requirement for Colorado in-state tuition. A WUE application must be completed in full and returned to Office of Registration & Records by the earliest drop (census) date for your courses.

Please consider the following when applying for the Western Undergraduate Exchange Program:

  • States that qualify for WUE Program: Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming.
  • Students 22 years old and younger will need to submit at least two intent items from the parent that resides in one of the qualifying states on the WUE application.
  • Students 23 years old and older will need to submit at least two intent items from one of the qualifying states on the WUE application. 
  • The time spent in WUE Program will not count towards the 12-month domicile requirement for in-state tuition.
  • Once the WUE application is processed, students will remain as a nonresident for 3 consecutive semesters but will be charged 150% of the CCD in-state tuition while enrolled in the WUE program.  Students enrolled in the WUE program do not qualify for the College Opportunity Fund (COF) stipend.  Only in-state students (Colorado residents) qualify for the COF stipend. 
  • Students may submit the WUE application with supporting documents every 3 semesters to stay enrolled in the WUE program. 
  • The WUE tuition rate will not apply towards CCCOnline or CCD online classes.  WUE tuition only applies to CCD’s on-campus classes.