U.S. Veterans Application Process
Community College of Denver is a Service Members’ Opportunity College. Join our more than 400 veterans on campus and get started on completed your educational goals today.
Get started with these Steps to a Successful Enrollment!
You can also download the Admissions & Registration Guide for more detailed information.
Step 1. Apply for GI Bill Benefits
GI Bill Benefits Application in PDF Format
Veteran Administration forms are, at times a bit complex, requiring information you may not have close at hand. Below we have provided a link to each form in PDF format. This will allow you to read the form and gather any needed information prior to filling it out online.
- Application for VA Education Benefits - VA 22-1990
- Dependents’ Application for VA Benefits - VA 22-5490
- Request for Change of Program or Place of Training - VA 22-1995
- Dependents’ Request for Change of Program or Place of Training - VA 22-5495
Need Additional Assistance with your VA Benefit Forms?
Step 2. Apply to CCD
The first step to enrolling in CCD is to create an account and apply online. Don’t forget to save your student identification number.
- The College accepts all students who are at least 17 years of age.
- There is no application fee.
- College Opportunity Fund (COF) pays a portion of your total in-state tuition and is eligible for undergraduate students. Simply apply for the COF on your admissions application (see last question).
Required Enrollment Forms for Veterans
As a veteran, in addition to applying for enrollment to the College, you will need to submit the following pieces of information to the Veteran Service’s Office.
- Signed & Printed Copy of Your Application for GI Bill Benefits VONAPP
- Certificate of Eligibility
- DD 214 Member 4 Copy
- Official Copy of College and Military Transcripts
- Signed VA Online Enrollment Form
- Signed Online Notice of Student Responsibility Form
- Signed US Armed Forces Veteran Residency Requirement Waiver
- Signed Active-Duty Military Residency Requirement Waiver
Step 3. Transfer Documents for Prior Education
You must submit an official transcript from any previous education obtained, including any Military Transcripts you might have. To request and submit Military Transcripts, learn more at the American Center for Education; otherwise, follow the directions below.
- Send official transcripts from your previous colleges or universities directly to the CCD Admissions, Registration, and Records Office (Campus Box 215, P.O. Box 173363, Denver, CO 80217) after you have enrolled in CCD.
- We cannot begin evaluating transcripts without having a student ID number on file. If you submit a transcript without a student ID, we place a hold until you are enrolled, which will delay your process.
- We accept transfer credits from regionally accredited institutions recommended by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers and as specified by Colorado Community College System (CCCS) articulation agreements.
- We will evaluate your transfer credits on a course-by-course basis. You must have a grade of a "C" or better.
- Courses with a "Pass" or "Satisfactory" will only transfer if there is documentation on the back of the transcript showing that it is equivalent to a "C-" grade or higher.
- Graduate- and/or doctoral-level course work will not automatically transfer into CCD. This will need approval by the Dean of the specific degree program. Contact our office with any questions you might have.
Step 4. Apply for Financial Aid
Veterans are eligible to apply for financial aid and receive your GI Bill. Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This is your application for all federal and state grants, loans, and work-study.
Step 5. Activate Your CCD eMail Account
Your student CCDConnect email account is the official means of communication between you and the College. At least once a week you should sign in to the CCDConnect web portal and view your registration, financial aid status, and check your email.
Step 6. Meet the Assessment Requirement
Before attending New Student Orientation, you must meet the math and English assessment requirement by taking the Placement Test (unless you meet an exemption below). This is a very important exam that determines course placement, so you are strongly encouraged to prepare thoroughly before testing. The cost to take the exam is $10 and re-testing is not permitted.
You may be exempt from the placement test if:
A. you have the following ACT or SAT scores from within the past five years. Submit your unofficial score report or unofficial high school transcript to the Testing Center with your Student ID number.
B. you have earned English and math credits at a regionally accredited institution of higher education. Complete the Transcript Intake Form and submit it with unofficial copies of your college transcripts to the Testing Center for review.
Step 7. Attend New Student Orientation
All new first-time students must attend orientation before receiving advising. A hold will be placed on your account until you have attended an orientation session. Transfer students are encouraged to attend orientation.
Step 8. Get Academic Advising
Get the academic advising process started early! Your academic advising session is your opportunity to discuss educational plans and find out what classes you will start with at CCD. Please visit or contact the Academic Advising Center to get connected with your Academic Advisor.
Step 9. Register for Classes
Step 10. Complete the Payment Process
Pay your tuition and fees in full at least one week before classes start.
- If you miss the payment deadline, you may be dropped from all classes and your original classes may no longer be available.
- Payment options are available, learn more at the Cashier’s Office.
While a student on campus, you will have access to a wide variety of services to help you adjust to campus life, study and get tutoring, as well as finding other veterans just like you. Connect with Veteran’s Support Services.
800 Curtis Street
Denver, CO 80204
Campus Box 201
P.O. Box 173363
Denver, CO 80217