All EXCEL! tutoring now occurs online via appointment. Due to COVID-19, Community College of Denver (CCD) tutoring services have been restructured to maintain high quality and safety. Our tutors have received training to fully utilize our online learning platforms to provide you with the best experience while learning remotely. All CCD tutoring is remote. You can watch this How-to Video to learn about how to schedule your appointment.
EXCEL’s days of operation follow CCD’s academic calendar and any weather or Auraria campus-related closures. This semester EXCEL is open August 24 – December 4, 2020.
- Log-in to the session appointment a few minutes prior to the session start time. This ensures technology is working prior to the session.
- Attempt to work through homework first. Then, come to the tutoring session with 2-3 questions - no quiz or test questions allowed. Tutors will not do student work.
- If students are unprepared for the session, the session may be canceled by the tutor.
- Appointment requests are considered confirmed once a confirmation email is sent to you with the Webex link; no need to accept.
- Cancelations: In the case that a session appointment needs to be canceled, students should proactively contact EXCEL! by responding to the appointment confirmation email at least 2 hours prior to the session. Students that have 3 cancelations to session app # of Courses Served SP20 # of Students Served SP20 appointments will result in the loss of EXCEL! online tutoring privilege for the remainder of the current semester.
- No Shows: Students who do not communicate with EXCEL! to cancel a session appointment prior to the session will be considered a “no show”. Students that have 3 cancelations and/or no-shows to session appointments will result in the loss of EXCEL! online tutoring privilege for the remainder of the current semester.
EXCEL's Computer Lab
- The EXCEL Computer Zone is dedicated for individual study use and digital tutoring literacy. Computers have internet browsers to access CCD Connect, D2L, and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Please keep in mind there are 6 computers that students can use for up to 2 hours at a time.
- As a tutoring space, computer use is drop-in only with a maximum of two hours when there is a waitlist.
- If you need to listen to something, bring your own headset.
Computer Lab Fall Hours:
Monday - Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; Friday 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Location: Confluence Building, room 412
Note: EXCEL! Zone is closed on September 7, November 23-29, and December 7.
Academic CoachingFall Hours: Mondays - Tuesdays 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. (MST)
*The last appointment begins 30 minutes before Academic Coaching closes.
Academic Coaching supports CCD students in study skill development for all CCD courses.
Digital ZoneFall Hours: Mondays - Fridays 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. (MST)
*The last appointment begins 30 minutes before the Digital Zone closes.
The Digital Zone supports CCD students in Digital Storytelling and navigating Webex, D2L, CCDConnect, Microsoft Suite, and the many applications available for creating digital content.
Math ZoneFall Hours: Mondays - Thursdays 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; Fridays 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. (MST)
*The last appointment begins 30 minutes before the Math Zone closes.
The Math Zone provides tutoring services for all CCD math and physics courses.
Writing ZoneFall Hours: Mondays - Thursdays 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; Fridays 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. (MST)
*The last appointment begins 30 minutes before the Writing Zone closes.
At the Writing Zone, CCD students - including ESL students - receive help on all stages of writing assignments, scholarship essays, job application materials. From brainstorming to posting on D2L, we are here to support you!
The EXCEL! Zone is CCD’s primary tutoring and academic support service. As a supplement to EXCEL!, Brainfuse online tutoring is available through a link in D2L. CCD purchases a package of minutes and offers a limited amount of free online tutoring minutes through Brainfuse. Once the minutes are depleted students can elect to purchase a package directly from the Brainfuse website or request a list of private tutors from EXCEL!.
Work Smarter, Not Harder!
EXCEL! Zone's Vision
EXCEL! Zone provides robust learning resources that support students’ academic success, learning development, and engagement to enhance personal and professional growth.
EXCEL! Zone's Mission
EXCEL! Zone's mission is to cultivate self-reliant learners through individual/group tutoring, academic coaching, and access to technology tools, online resources, study and collaboration spaces.
Tutors work towards helping students become independent learners according to the following guidelines: Students should arrive at EXCEL! Zones and Webex meetings prepared with all necessary books and materials. This means having attended class, taken notes, attempted homework, and reading assignments. Tutors are subject matter experts who have been successful students and/instructors. Though tutors are a good resource, they will not do students' work and are not responsible for final course grades. For course-specific questions, students should consult their instructors. Instructors and staff who would like to request services can send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.