Apply to the Veterinary Technology Program
The application for the Veterinary Technology Program is now closed! The application cycle is April 1st - July 1st with a fall semester start. Questions? Please call 303.365.8300.
Steps to Successful Enrollment
- Please follow the instructions below and gather the appropriate documents before you complete our online application.
- Once you have these forms completed, please scan and save the documents to your computer. Then submit your accompanying forms as attachments to our online application.
Step 1. Check List
Use this check-off list to help you keep track of your application documents. This form must be printed out, signed, dated and uploaded with your online application.
Step 2. Enroll in CCD
If you haven’t done so yet, you must be a current CCD student to enroll in the vet tech program. The CCD application is free. Please select the Associate of Science as the degree option when applying.
Step 3. Attend an Information Session
Due to the COVID-19 this step will not be required to apply to the veterinary technology program for the fall 2020 term.
You are invited to attend a vet tech information and advising session, which will cover information for both the associate and certificate programs.
- Tuesday, December 8, 2020 | 4 - 5:00 p.m.
You will learn more about the programs and application process, the profession of veterinary technology, and examinations necessary for certification.
- Reservations are not required.
- The advising sessions will be held at: Center for Health Sciences at Lowry, 1070 Alton Way, Denver, CO 80230
Step 4. Observation
(In light of the ongoing situation with COVID-19 we have suspended the observation portion of the application process. Upload a Word document stating "Observations Waived" and upload this to the application. Then, go on to step 5)
Regardless of current or past experiences, you are required to observe at least two (2) separate veterinary technicians (VT), not veterinarians, for a minimum of four (4) hours each. Signatures and other pertinent information should be filled out on the Veterinary Technology Observation Form. Print the form, fill it out and have the VT you are observing sign it. Once these forms are completed, please scan and upload and submit with your online application.
Step 5. Prerequisites & Transcripts from Previous Education
For each college or university attended, you must submit an official transcript directly to the Office of Registration & Records.
Veterinary Technology general prerequisites must show a cumulative GPA of 2.5. Official transcripts are not required for prerequisites taken at CCD; however, we ask that you include them with your online application so that we can process your application more quickly.
If you are currently enrolled in CCD classes to complete your prerequisites, you may submit your registration information with your online application.
You must have these prerequisites completed (or in the process of completing) to apply to this program.
- BIO 111 (General College Biology or equivalent - no more than seven-years-old)
- English 121 (English Composition or equivalent)
- MAT 103 (Math for Clinical Calculations or higher)
Step 6. References
Part of your application process is to submit two professional references. You must notify your references that they will be receiving an email from Community College of Denver, asking them to complete the reference and return it to Shannon Burkhalter, program chair of the veterinary technology program.
Step 7. Estimate of Program Expense & Aid
Tuition for the two-year vet tech program is approximately $13,000. Other expenses to consider are books at $1,000 for the program, and supplies: stethoscope, scrubs, and clinic fees for the two-year program are about $150. The VTNE board fees are $300.
- Financial Aid is available for qualified students.
- Please apply one semester before enrollment.
- For more information, contact the Financial Aid & Scholarships office at 303.556.2420.
Step 8. Complete the Online Application
Once you have gathered, completed and saved each of the documents required for this application, you may begin and submit the Health Science's Veterinary Technician Program Application. Should you have any questions while completing this online form, please contact our office.
Step 9: Finalized Application Notification
After you have completed each step above and have submitted your completed online application, you will be emailed one of the following notifications:
- that your application is complete with the specifics of the next steps.
- that your application is incomplete and what is needed.
- or that your application does not meet the minimum qualifications.
Due to the large volume of applications received, we ask that you do not contact our office inquiring about your application status. We will contact you via your CCD student email address, informing you if your application is complete or if we need additional information. Please wait for the arrival of this email before contacting our office.
Reactivating Your Application from a Previous Year
If you have applied to this program within the last two (2) years and want to reactivate your application, you must provide a written and signed letter requesting that the following be reactivated:
- You must resubmit the main application (Step 8)
- Verification of Observation (Step 4)
- Transcripts (Step 5) - Note: You must submit a new official transcript if any changes/updates have occurred before your last submission
- References (Step 6)