Food, Nutrition & Wellness
About the Program
Nutrition is a fascinating and dynamic science with a powerful role to play in promoting and sustaining health and wellness. An Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree in nutrition prepares you to use your knowledge to educate individuals, patients, and their communities on healthy behaviors, wellness, and appropriate food choices. This two-year program prepares you for transfer or entry-level food and nutrition-related positions.
Earn your A.A.S. in nutrition! It will provide you with a wide range of career opportunities, including dietary manager, nutrition support services, nutrition service aid, dietary aid, food co-ops, health clubs & spas, health food stores, wellness education and nutrition product sales. The job growth outlook in this field is estimated to increase by 15 percent over the next eight years.
- You'll automatically earn a certificate in food, nutrition and wellness at the end of your first year when following the suggested degree pathway.
- CCD has an articulation agreement with MSU Denver where your A.A.S. will seamlessly transfer.
- Continue on to a four-year degree and you'll be prepared for career opportunities such as a registered dietitian, food safety specialist, food scientist, nutritionist, nutrition product development, public health nutritionist or educator.
- *Some careers and occupations require additional training, certification or education.
- Scholarship opportunities are available for transfer and Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) students.
In our three-course certificate program, you will explore various approaches to health and wellness by studying the concepts, values and applications of this exciting field of health science. In the first two courses, you will learn the fundamentals of nutrition, explore what it means to eat healthily, discover how to efficiently plan meals and grocery shop, and gain techniques that will make cooking fun, easy and enjoyable. In the third and final course, you will focus on fitness and wellness, which will provide a foundation to design, implement, and evaluate a complete personal fitness and wellness program.
This certificate is relevant to you if you are pursuing an education in nutrition or health-related fields, including healthcare professionals, nutritionists, personal trainers, wellness coaches, massage therapists, life coaches, teachers, caregivers, or any individual with an interest in food, diet and optimal health. You can use the certificate for an entry-level position, to continue your education towards an A.A.S. degree in nutrition or to enhance education or job opportunities in current positions.
This certificate is not eligible for federal student aid, but scholarships are available for short certificates at CCD.
Many states require dietitians and nutritionist to be licensed. This certificate does not meet licensure eligibility requirements for registered dietitians.