Q & A with Cathleen Whiles
Degrees and Certificates
- Bachelors of Music - Music Composition | University of Northern Colorado
- Bachelors of Music - Piano Performance | University of Northern Colorado
- Masters Degree in Music – Composition | University of Colorado
- Minors in Psychology and Philosophy | University of Northern Colorado
- Colorado Music Educators Association
- Music Educators National Association
Q & A
What do you do at CCD?
I teach music courses and chair the Performing Arts Department
What do you enjoy most about your work?
I enjoy working with the students and helping them to enjoy music as much as I do.
When you’re not working, what do you do?
I love to read and spend time with my family.
What moment at CCD stands out as the most memorable?
Probably the day I got hired as a full time faculty. That was and is my dream job.
Who had the greatest influence on your education and/or career path?
I think my high school piano teacher helped me decide what path to take in college. He showed me there are a lot of ways to make a decent living in music and you don't have to be a starving artist!
What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?
You don't get any free ice cream if you don't ask.
Which three people (living or dead) would you invite to dinner and why?
Frederick Chopin (greatest piano composer ever), Bram Stoker (how much of Dracula was your own ideas vs. legend?), and my husband (he is always good for entertainment!).
What or who can’t you live without?
I would have a really hard time living without my husband and two wonderful kids, and music.
Please list any research interests.
I love to compose music. I truly wish I had more time to do this.