Journal of Excellence Seeks Student Editors | Deadline September 5
About the Star
CCD’s Journalism Department is producing the 8th edition of The Star, Journal of Excellence, a digital journal produced, designed and distributed by CCD students.
The Star is a collection of stories, essays, photos, illustrations and graphics.
All CCD students are encouraged to submit their work for selection into this quality, student-run journal. The style of the journal will be a ‘Best of’ collection. More submission information will be released soon.
In addition, we are seeking applications from current CCD students who are interested in being editors of The Star. Editors will be responsible for selecting the content of the journal, promoting and distributing the journal, and working closely with the faculty advisors and the creative team on the design of the journal. Editors will receive membership into the Associated Collegiate Press. Editors will be selected by CCD department faculty and possibly senior editors of The Star.
- current CCD student,
- positive attitude,
- strong communication and writing skills,
- committed to professionalism, including appearing and hygiene,
- ability to work in a team environment,
- access to a computer,
- devoted to producing a high-quality student journal
- flexible schedule: approximately 4-10 hours a week (some work can be done at home)
- attend monthly meetings
Training will be provided to all editors. Note: Photo editors must have experience taking photos and have access to a camera.
Qualified applicants can work on The Star as an internship—for more information contact Kristi Strother.
To apply for an editor position, please submit the following by the deadline:
- A one page, typed cover letter expressing the following: the reason why you want the position; classes or jobs you have had that will help you in the position; how much time you have to commit to the project; what you hope to gain from the position.
- A one paragraph, typed statement describing your leadership style and/or how you work with other people, specifically other students. Examples of working with others or your leadership qualities recommended.
- One academic writing sample-written in the last two years-preferably written in a journalistic style; however an essay assignment from either English 121 or 122 or any JOU class will be accepted.
- Photo editors must submit 3-4 news or editorial photos.
- Contact information: provide a current phone number and email address.
For any questions or to send a completed application email: Kristi Strother, Chair of Journalism.