Frequently Asked Questions

Who is considered an international student?

CCD considers “international students” to be F1 visa holders. All other visa holders do not need to go through the international office.

What fees do international students have?

Besides the $75 application fee, international students have the same tuition and fees responsible as any non-resident student.

How do I pay my application fee? Can I pay online?

The international application fee is payable to the cashier’s office at 303.556.2075 or You can also pay online via CCDConnect. Log in using your student number and six-digit birthday (ex: 010195) as your password, then click on the student finance page. Before you pay online, please alert Christina Irvine.

Are there separate deadlines for international students on when they can apply to the college?

Yes. See the chart below:

Deadlines for:

New I-20 to Enter U.S.

Transfer-In I-20 from Another U.S. School


November 1st

January 1st


March 1st

May 1st


June 1st

August 1st

Is my orientation different from other students?

Yes, there is one international student orientation approximately one week before the start of each semester. Orientation will include an overview of how to stay in status on your student visa, the different opportunities available on the Auraria Campus, a campus tour, and how to register for courses. Breakfast and lunch are provided. Guests are welcome at lunch. Learn more & register for the International New Student Orientation.

How many classes do I need to take?

As an international student, you will need to take a minimum of 12 credits for the fall and spring semester (about four classes). Taking classes in the summer semester is optional unless you are starting at CCD for the summer. If you are starting in the summer, you are required to take at least 6 credits (at least two classes).  

If I have transcripts from an institution in another country, would CCD still accept them?

Transferring U.S. College Credits

  • Only official (sealed, unopened) transcripts will be accepted.
  • Send transcripts electronically to or by mail to David Samuelson, Academic Credentials Specialist, Campus Box 201, P.O Box 17336, Denver, CO 80217
  • You will be alerted by email when your credits have been entered.

Transferring International College Credits

  • Foreign university transcripts must be translated and evaluated by an approved provider. On the site,, click “How to Find a Member”, and choose any providers on the list.
  • You must get a “course by course” evaluation.
  • Because of differences in educational systems, please be aware that many credits may not transfer to CCD. For more information regarding transferring credits, contact David Samuelson.

What are my holds and how can I get them removed?

To remove holds, visit the Office of Registration & Records counter in the Confluence Building.

Is there a support program for international students?

CCD campus support services such as tutoring, accessibility, and academic advising are available to international students. International programming is available through the international office. Our staff assists with international student support and is available for individual meetings by appointment. Feel free to reach out to us at 303.352.6565 or to address any issues or concerns.

How long do I have to complete my degree?

CCD gives you three (3) years or 36 months to complete an associate degree. If you are completing at least 12 credits for each of the required semesters, fall and spring, you should finish a 60 credit degree within two-and-a-half (2.5) years. 

My I-20 is not with CCD, but I would like to take courses to supplement my degree at my home institution. What do I need to do?

If your I-20 is not at CCD, you are considered a visiting F1 student. Visiting students have different regulations to follow at CCD. If you are planning on visiting CCD during the fall and spring semesters, you will need to provide a:

  • Copy of Passport
  • Copy of Visa
  • Copy of I-20
  • Visiting letter from your home institution

If you are planning on visiting CCD during the summer semester, you will need to provide us with:

  • Copy of Passport
  • Copy of Visa
  • Copy of I-20

I am planning to travel home during the break. What do I need to do?

During the fall and spring semesters, there are short breaks during the semester where classes will not be held. Students have the opportunity to travel. Please check

  • that your Visa and Passport are valid and have not expired,
  • that the I-20 states you are under a “Continued Attendance” status, and
  • that the I-20 has been signed and verified by your P/DSO within the last six (6) months.

When you are traveling, please make sure that all of your documentation is on your person before you board the airplane heading back into the U.S.

How do I get my I-20 replaced or re-signed?

You can come to the Office of Registration and Records front desk to request help with your I-20. If you have lost your I-20 or need to have it resigned by your DSO, you will need to plan accordingly. Processing time for ISSS is approximately three to five (3-5) business days, so if you are traveling soon, you need to talk to the ISSS Office at LEAST seven (7) business days before you leave.

Can I drive in Colorado?

International students are able to drive in Colorado, but only if they have a valid U.S. driver’s license. International students will need to wait until AFTER their DSO reports them as active to SEVIS during their first semester before they can go to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to get tested.

You will need to provide: Your continued attendance I-20, your VISA, Passport and I-94.

You can find more information on how to get a driver’s license here

Can I work as an international student?

F1 students are allowed to work, but only on campus on a part-time basis (maximum of 20 hours per week). They can only work in an hourly position, not work-study. Off-campus employment is only allowed with prior authorization from either ISSS or USCIS.

I heard about OPT and CPT, am I allowed to use this?

CCD does allow Optional Practical Training (OPT) and Curricular Practical Training (CPT), but only on a case-by-case basis.

CPT is only allowed at CCD if there is a requirement of an internship in your degree plan. If your program of study does not require an internship to graduate, you will not be allowed to apply for CPT.

OPT is a right that international students are allowed to apply for during the last semester of their program. OPT allows for students to work off campus within their field of study for ONE year without the need to take classes. You will need to talk to your DSO for more information regarding OPT.