Business Chinese | Non-Credit 10-Week Class
No previous Chinese language experience required. Just a desire to learn about the culture and basic communication skills for Chinese business.
Learn more and complete the registration form below! Registration closes May 1, 2020.
Please contact Jane Lim, director of CICCD
Instructor | Fan Jiang
- Basic Chinese knowledge and skills that is applicable to your commercial activities;
- Communicative ability appropriate to the Chinese environment. You'll be able to understand the essentials of Chinese economic circumstances and rules for business performance, including trade, investment, cooperation and management of enterprises; and
- Competence for cross-cultural communication in the context of economic and cooperative interchange — a wide range of knowledge of business customs and rules in addition to the background information of Chinese culture.
- The instructor will provide weekly handouts, introducing vocabulary, sentence patterns, dialogues, reading passages, exercises and activities. We will select the proper words and patterns that suit the beginning level of Chinese for the students. By completing this course, students may attain an elementary level of Chinese or higher.
It is appropriate to design the teaching of business Chinese in three-in-one training pattern that combines the language as a carrier with commercial activities and cross-cultural knowledge. Such skills to be used in language communication may be provided at four levels in ascending order:
- Ability to use appropriate expressions on the polite social occasion of reception, greeting, introduction, apology and congratulation.
- Ability to use appropriate expressions for shopping, traveling, bus riding, telephoning and appointment making.
- Ability to use appropriate expressions for commercial activities such as giving a brief account of a company or product, getting or giving a quotation, comment or statement.
- Ability to use appropriate expressions in consulting, negotiating, bargaining, writing or revising a plan, discussing a way to cooperate, making a comment on a subject in addition to analyzing and sorting out problems.
Required Course Materials
- Reference Book (optional): A Practical Business Chinese Reader (Peking University Press)
- Chinese-English Dictionary
- A notebook for homework or exercise
- A notebook for class notes
Online via Webex invitation
Wednesdays | 6 - 7:30 p.m.
May 6th - July 8th, 2020
The class is one, low payment of $150.00 and is due by May 4, 2020.
Paying with Check or Money Order
Make check or money order payable to "Confucius Institute at CCD", and note "Business Chinese Class and your last name" on the memo line
Mail to: Confucius Institute at Community College of Denver, P.O. Box 173363, Campus Box 700, Denver, CO 80217-3363