How do I make a complaint or appeal?

Student Grievance Policy Statement

Filing a Complaint

This Student Grievance Procedure is intended to allow students an opportunity to present an issue that they feel warrants action, including the right to secure educational benefits and services without regard to sex, race, national origin or ancestry, creed, color, sexual orientation, disability, or age and have the issue considered in a prompt and equitable fashion.

Complaints + Appeals

Occasionally you may have a concern or complaint about something that has happened to you. View the guide below for the most common types of complaints, though there may be other options for you depending on your circumstance. The Director of Student Conduct and Support, as well as Care Team members, are available to help you understand which route might be right for you. Once you decide that we can help you understand how the process works.

Often the decision to pursue a complaint or grievance process arises following a stressful event, or the steps involved in the process may be stressful or anxiety-provoking. We encourage you to reach out to the Care Team or Counseling Center for additional support. You may also have the right to have an advisor or support person with you while navigating a complaint or grievance process and are encouraged to inquire about that option.

I believe I have been discriminated against ...

The Equal Opportunity Grievance Procedure protects you on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, and expressions or disability. Learn more at and reach out to us to assist!


For more information, please contact: Human Resources at 303.352.3042

I am the victim of sexual misconduct ...

Title IX Policies & Procedures protects you from sexual misconduct, including sexual assault, sexual harassment, stalking or other forms of interpersonal violence.

For additional information about our nondiscrimination policy or the grievance procedures, please contact the Title IX and Equal Opportunity Coordinator directly who oversees all discrimination and harassment complaints made by employees and students. Learn more at and reach out to us to assist!


Human Resource Department
Campus Location: Auraria Campus
Administration Building, Room 310

Patty Davies, Director of Human Resources & Title IX Coordinator/Civil Rights Investigator

I believe that I have been discriminated against on the basis of disability or I believe I have been denied access or accommodations required by law.

Americans with Disabilities Act Policies & Procedures protects you! Learn more at and reach out to us to assist!

Patty Davies, Director of Human Resources & Title IX Coordinator/Civil Rights Investigator

The Accessibility Center can also help you access accommodations. Connect with them: Accessibility Center or 303.556.3300

I feel that my grade does not reflect the quality of my work.

Grade Appeal Policy & Standard

Appeals regarding final grades should be initiated by the student within 60 calendar days after the date grades are posted for the semester in which the grade was awarded. Before making an appeal, you should first discuss the grade with your instructor, and then if necessary, with the department chair. If there is no resolution, you may appeal the grade by submitting a written statement to the Center's dean explaining the problem. The Center's dean will investigate and respond in writing within 15 days. The dean's decision is the final step of the grade appeal process.

I want to report concerning behavior I have seen in another individual.

If you see an individual exhibiting behavior that causes you concern, please let us know of your concern by filing an incident report.

I have experienced a significant life event that resulted in the loss of tuition and fees ... what are my options?

Extenuating Circumstance Appeal Process allows you to report an extenuating circumstance, such as severe medical illness, an employment situation beyond your control, or the death of an immediate family member.

Learn more about this process in the academic catalog.

You may also contact your academic advisor to receive an appeal form and ask questions about this process.

Due to a significant life event, I do not have satisfactory academic progress.

The Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress policy states that you must meet academic satisfaction unless there is a case of extenuating circumstances such as medical problems, a death in the immediate family, and/or extreme personal problems.


What is SAP?

  • Complete at least 67 percent of the credits you attempt overall
  • Maintain a minimum 2.0 overall GPA
  • Complete at least one credit per attending semester
  • Complete your degree or certificate within 150 percent of the total number of credits required to graduate

Learn more about appeals, probation, and other important information, visit Financial Aid SAP Appeal Policy.

For more information contact: Financial Aid Office at 303.556.5503

I have been through the conduct process and want to appeal the decision.

Student Conduct Appeal Form - Please visit the Student Code of Conduct to learn more about the appeal process.

For more information contact: Director of Student Conduct and Support at 303.352.6445.

I have a concern or situation that is not covered by any of the above policies.

For more information contact: Director of Student Conduct and Support at 303.352.6445.

I want to report a concern or issue with the campus police department.

Auraria Police Department Complaints - Call Auraria Police at 303.556.5000 or 911 from any campus phone.  Also, you may use Text a Tip to send a text, picture or video to Campus Police to alert them at any time. Text a Tip: 720.593.8477.

I want to report a concern or issue related to a campus facility or campus policy.

 Auraria Higher Education Center (AHEC) - Contact Us

External Resources

If you feel that your concern has not been addressed by existing CCD policies and procedures, you may wish to contact an external resource for more information.

Options include but are not limited to the Colorado Department of Higher Education or U. S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights