Confucius Institute at Community College of Denver to Celebrate 10-Year Anniversary
Established in 2007, CICCD is part of an international network of Confucius Institutes—headquartered in Beijing, China—whose purpose is to promote the understanding of Chinese language and culture and to enhance intercultural exchange. It is located on the Auraria campus in downtown Denver. With the support from the Colorado Community College System, CCD is currently collaborating with the University of Ji Nan in China in running the Confucius Institute. CCD is the only community college in the world to host a Confucius Institute.
September marks the 10-year anniversary and CICCD is proud to highlight the following accomplishments over the course of those years:
- Provided services to over 6,500 students in learning Chinese language and culture.
- Sent more than 20 students to study in China through scholarships.
- Sponsored over 100 students to attend summer camps in China.
- Offered Chinese Language Level Tests (HSK) to more than 900 students.
- Developed cultural events attended by more than 63,000 college and public school students.
- Recruited over 60 Chinese language instructors from China to teach Chinese in Colorado schools.
- Offered more than 30 teacher training workshops for the Chinese language.
- Organized 14 Chinese speech contests for Colorado college and K-12 students.
- Collaborated with Rocky Mountain Calligraphy Association to host the inaugural International Chinese Calligraphy Exhibition.
CICCD plans to celebrate the 10th anniversary at its annual Confucius Institute Day on Saturday, September 30th, 2017. A delegation from China will be present at the event, including:
- Counselor Yinhui Chen, Director of the Education Office, Consulate General of People’s Republic of China in Chicago,
- Consul Hao Chen, Consul for Education, Consulate General of People’s Republic of China in Chicago,
- President Shiqiang Zhang, University of Ji Nan,
- Zhenghe Xu – Dean of the School of Resources and Environment, University of Ji Nan,
- Lei Liu, Dean of the School of Fine Arts, University of Ji Nan,
- Xipu Wang, Researcher of the School of Education and Psychology, University of Ji Nan, and
- Yanmei Sun, Director of International Affairs Office, University of Ji Nan.
The event takes place from 3:30 - 8:00 p.m. in the King Center Concert Hall located at 855 Lawrence Way, Denver and will feature Chinese art performances, including music, dancing, singing and martial arts, as well as traditional Chinese food & tea, painting & calligraphy demonstrations, crafts & games, language lessons and a Chinese Art Exhibit.
This event is free and open to the public.
Learn more at CCD.edu/CI.