Scholarship Newsletter - September 2017
In This Issue
- Private Scholarships
- Updates & Announcements
- Helpful Scholarship Tips - The Top 4 Scholarship Application Mistakes
- Amount - $3,400
- Deadline: September 29, 2017
- Amount - $1,000
- Deadline: September 21, 2017
DARS - Daughters of the American Revolution
- Amount - $5,000
- Deadline: February 15, 2018
- Amount - $1,000
- Deadline: November 1, 2017
La Unidad Latina Scholarship Fund
- Deadline: October 15, 2017
Updates & Announcements
We are off to a great start. During our start up week we were able to give away $50- $500 scholarships to students in honor of CCD’s 50th Anniversary!
Open Door Scholarship
CCD is happy to have been allocated $50,000 for the Open Door Scholarship, which is geared to help our DACA, ASSET and undocumented students. If you have not filled out the general application, please do so immediately as we will be awarding these funds soon.
- The FAFSA will be available October 1st for the 2018-2019 aid year! You will use your 2016 tax information.
- Please remember that it is important to start looking into the support programs that CCD offers as part of your scholarship contract. You must participate in the program before your contract is signed, therefore, that needs to be done at least a couple months before the contract is due. Please let the scholarship office know if you have any concerns.
Money Smarts Workshops
Financial Aid 101 | September 19th, 9 - 10:00 a.m.
Learn the process to receiving financial aid, from completing your FAFSA to getting your refund and everything in between. Explore scholarships and other options for paying for college.
Financial Aid Football | September 26th, 9 - 10:00 a.m.
Play some financial football and make sure your financial literacy is up to snuff! Answer questions to score points and lead your team to victory while learning about things like credit and budgeting.
Couponing 101 | September 20th 10 - 11:00 a.m.
Want to learn how to save 50- 75 percent or more off your grocery bill? What if you could pay only 50¢ for toothpaste? Does the thought of clipping coupons and hunting down the best deals seem daunting to you? Attend the Couponing 101 workshop to learn how you can start saving $$$! You will learn the basics of couponing and how to get started, have your questions answered and more!
Helpful Scholarship Tips - Top 4 Scholarship Mistakes
- Private Scholarships: Did you know that scholarships are offered by private organizations and states? Colorado is one of the 41 states that offer scholarships to students.
- Applying for too few scholarships: Getting lots of small scholarships adds up. Smaller scholarships are often less competitive, so your chances of winning several of these awards is better.
- Not Following Instructions and Other Application Mistakes: Always double-check your work, and better yet, get someone else to review it for you. A second set of eyes can help you catch mistakes.
- Pay attention to deadlines: This can be the biggest mistake you make! Create a timeline for each scholarship and remember it doesn’t pay to procrastinate
A Special Message From Laraisa Zamora, Dreamer United Key Note Speaker at the Dreamers United Alumni Event in April 2017
“Dreamers, don’t give up, continue to give the best you can every day in your studies and jobs. God will protect us and everything will be fine, we just need to be united!”
“Digale a sus dreamers que conoci en el evento pasado que no se ridan y sigan dondo lo major de ellos cada dia en sus estudios y trabajos. Dios nos va protejer y todo va estar bein estando unidos.”
Scholarship Walk-In Hours
Scholarship Walk-In Hours | Every Wednesday in Confluence Building, Room 118
- Application and Search Help | 12:30 - 2:30 p.m.
- Essay Help | 2:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.