CCD & Our Accrediting Agency: Higher Learning Commission
How long has CCD been accredited?
Community College of Denver was first accredited in 1975 and has been continuously accredited.
What is the Higher Learning Commission (HLC)?
There are six regional accrediting bodies across the United States, which are responsible for accreditation of college and universities. Community College of Denver is accredited under the Higher Learning Commission. The work of the HLC is shaped by its mission of "Serving the common good by assuring and advancing the quality of higher learning."
All colleges are expected to adhere to the assumed practices. These are practices that all colleges are presumed to be doing, and is used as the foundation of our college practices.
- Mission: CCD’s mission is clear and stated publicly; the mission documents guide what we do.
- Integrity: Ethical & responsible conduct; CCD acts with integrity; its conduct is ethical and responsible.
- Teaching & Learning: Quality, resources, & support; CCD provides high-quality education, wherever (on campus, at an additional location, in a high school) and however (online, face to face, hybrid) courses are offered.
- Teaching & Learning: Evaluation & improvement; CCD demonstrates responsibility for the quality of its educational programs, learning environments, and support services. CCD evaluates the effectiveness of student learning through processes designed to promote continuous improvement.
- Resources, planning & institutional effectiveness: CCD’s resources, structures, and processes are sufficient to fulfill its mission, improve the quality of its educational offerings, and respond to future challenges and opportunities. The institution plans for the future.
Email your comments to HLC@ccd.edu.
Federal Compliance Document
All colleges must meet mandated federal compliance guidelines.
The areas of federal compliance are:
- Institutional Records of Student complaints: We will explain how we process student complaints, mainly through our incident reporting system and the extenuating circumstances committee.
- Publication of Transfer Policies: This covers both what credits we accept in as transfer credits, and what articulations we have with other institutions who accept our credits.
- Practices for Verification of Student Identity: Focusing on online instruction, we will explain the process we go through to ensure the student in the class is the student of record.
- Title IV Program Responsibilities: Title IV funding provides students with financial aid to attend school. In order to continue to be able to offer Title IV funding, we need to explain our default rates, Clery Act compliance, financial aid policies, satisfactory academic progress (SAP) process, attendance policy, and any contractual and consortial relationships we enjoy.
- Required Information for Students and the Public: We must demonstrate where in our website and catalog we provide information on our academic calendar, grading policies, admissions policy, academic program requirements, tuition, fees, and refund policies.
- Advertising and Recruitment Materials and Other Public Information: We must demonstrate that our marketing materials are accurate.
- Review of Student Outcome Data: We must demonstrate how we use student information of program completion, job placement, and licensing examination information to improve student outcomes.
- Publication of Student Outcome Data: We must demonstrate that we publish on our website student information on program completion, job placement, and license examination pass rates.
- Standing with State and Other Accrediting Agencies: Several of our programs maintain outside accreditation, and we must publish that.
- Public Notification and Opportunity to Comment: This includes a Public Comment in which we will be soliciting comments from the general public and students about CCD.
- Credit Hour, Program Length and Tuition Review Worksheet: This is a worksheet that reviews all of our courses we offer and assures that we meet the requirements for both on-ground and online courses.