National Society of Leadership & Success
NSLS is the nation's largest leadership honor society. Students are selected by their college for membership based on either academic standing or leadership potential. Candidacy is a nationally recognized achievement of honorable distinction. Today, the Society has over half a million members on more than 500 college and university campuses nationwide.
In addition to honorable distinction, the Society provides a step-by-step program for members to build their leadership skills through participation at their campus or online. Upon completion of the program, members receive their leadership certificate and take their place among the top student leaders on their campus and across the country. Members are able to list their affiliation on all statements of personal accomplishment, including their resume.
Membership is for life and provides access to benefits, including scholarships and awards, exclusive on-campus events, employer recruitment through an online job bank, and discounts on computers, textbooks, grad school prep courses, insurance and much more.
As an inducted member of NSLS you will receive the following:
- Leadership training
- Live broadcasts from famous leaders such as Anderson Cooper and Barbara Corcoron made exclusively for NSLS
- Discounts on everyday goods
- A letter of recommendation from NSLS
- Access to an exclusive job bank
- Access to NSLS scholarships
- A free DiSC assessment to help you identify your unique communication style
- Access to advise from a professional success coach
See the full list of benefits at the NSLS website.
How much is the membership to the Society?
Society members pay a one-time registration fee of $85 when applying to join the organization. The fee includes all membership benefits, partner discounts and a lifetime membership. Membership does not expire or need renewing.
I did not receive an invitation. How can I join?
You can apply for membership by completing our nomination process online by clicking here. The nomination process requires the recommendation of at least one faculty member and can be completed entirely online. If you have any questions about this, please do not hesitate to contact the National Office. If approved, you will receive a nomination code to join and will be considered a pre-inducted member of the organization.
I don't have a credit card. How do I pay?
If you want to pay your membership fee using a check or money order, you can submit a paper application for membership to the National Office. To submit a paper application, please visit the Society website at www.societyleadership.org and enter your invitation code. Once you have accessed the online application and get to the section asking for Payment Information, you will see a link to the Paper Application. You can print and mail this application with a check or money order. Keep in mind that while you can fill out a paper application, you do need regular access to the internet in order to successfully complete the leadership training program and become inducted as a Society member.
How do I become an inducted member?
Once you have paid your registration fee, you are considered a member (also known as pre-inducted member) with access to certain benefits. In order to become an inducted member, you must complete the following steps:
- Orientation: the first meeting that occurs each semester and will give you access to all the information you need about the program in order to successfully complete the steps for induction as a member.
- Leadership Training Day: a three-hour interactive video training session with a workbook designed to help you identify and overcome any obstacles that may interfere with obtaining your goals. This introspective seminar helps you to recognize your strengths and weaknesses, in order to shift your focus toward your real passions.
- Three speaker broadcast events: you will watch some of the world's most successful motivational speakers discussing topics related to leadership, identifying goals, facing challenges, personal growth, and successfully transitioning from college to career.
- Three Success Networking Team meetings: bring together groups of students that work together and provide peer coaching on achieving goals. You can discuss goals, desires and expectations, set timelines and hold each other accountable for achieving what you want. The Success Networking Team provides members with a support network of like-minded goal-oriented students on campus. Once you complete these steps, you will be invited to an induction ceremony where you will receive your membership kit.
How long do I have to complete my steps to induction?
The average amount of time it takes to complete the steps to induction is approximately 12 hours spread out over the course of a semester. While most members do finish their steps to induction in a single semester, you may take longer if needed (as long as you finish prior to graduating).