Spring 2020 Semester End-of-Semester FAQs

We understand that COVID-19 may have created unexpected roadblocks for you. CCD has made some changes to our course completion policies that will hopefully help you make the best decisions regarding your grade choices, should you choose to not want to participate in the traditional letter grading option. 

You have three options available: 

  • Change your final letter grade to Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) 
  • Work with your instructor on an Incomplete contract and complete the course later 
  • Withdraw from the course 

See below for information and helpful questions and answers regarding each option.   

CCD is temporarily providing you the option to switch your Spring 2020 final grade from a traditional letter grade to Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) designation.  

The S/U system is like what other colleges call Pass/Fail. At CCD, neither an S nor a U grade will count in your grade point average (GPA). This can be helpful if you feel that you are not doing as well in a class as you expected you would. For example:  

  • A grade of S can help a student currently earning a C in a class where they might typically expect to earn a B or better.  
  • A grade of U can be helpful for a student who is currently earning a D or failing and doesn’t want the grade to affect their GPA. 

You can change to the S/U option from May 11 through May 26, 2020. In order to initiate this process, you need to speak with your advisor and/or program department chair. A link to the S/U grade change request form will be available on May 11.   

S/U grading options are not available for all courses due to programmatic accreditation restrictions. For students interested in the S/U option who are enrolled in the following Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs, you must first contact your department chairperson before proceeding with this option. Affected CTE programs: 

  • Dental Hygiene 
  • Integrated Nursing Pathway 
  • Practical Nursing 
  • Radiologic Technology 
  • Veterinary Technology 

Will this impact my financial aid?

Please connect with Financial Aid, so they can look at your records specifically. While an S/U grade doesn’t impact your GPA, a U grade can impact your completion rate. Completion rate is one of the primary components of maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and many scholarships require a good SAP status. 

If you choose to take all your classes as S/U, your GPA would be reported as 0.00, which might be confusing to some donors or foundations. You can explain that a different grading mode was offered during the COVID-19 pandemic. Your Spring 2020 S/U grades will have a note on your transcript that explains S/U grading was due to COVID-19.   

Contact FinancialAid@ccd.edu for more guidance regarding this. 

Will this impact my plans to transfer to another school?

This depends on where you plan to transfer: 

For transfer to another public Colorado college or university, the Colorado Department of Higher Education (CDHE) recommends all Colorado public universities accept Pass/Satisfactory grades in transfer during this time period. This includes the Statewide Transfer Articulation Agreements (Degrees with Designation) 

For out-of-state universities, you should check with individual institutions. In some cases, a class required for admissions may need to be repeated. 

For more guidance on this, contact the CCD Career & Transfer Center at TSC.Mailbox@ccd.edu  

What if I choose Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory for every class?

If you choose Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) for all your classes, your term GPA could be 0.00 for the semester. However, if you have S as your grade in courses, you will still be making progress towards your degree or certificate depending on your program requirements. It is best to talk to your academic advisor to determine if this is a good option. If you are a financial aid recipient and you choose all U grades, you may be required to submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) appeal form.

The Incomplete grade is a temporary grade. It is designed for students who have completed a majority of the coursework (defined as at least 60 percent of all course assignments and tests during the Spring 2020 semester) in a satisfactory manner (grade C or better), but are unable to complete within the semester due to documented illness or circumstances beyond their control, like COVID-19. An Incomplete grade is a contract between you and your instructor that you will complete the work in the future. Contact your instructor to determine your eligibility. 

Withdrawing from a class will result in a grade of W. If you withdraw from a class, no academic credit is awarded, but a withdrawn course will count towards your attempted credits.  

CCD has extended its withdrawal date to May 11, 2020 for 15-week classes. 

What are the next steps to ask for an Incomplete?

You need to initiate the request for an incomplete grade from your instructor and work together to confirm your eligibility. The instructor and you will sign an incomplete grade form and submit it to the appropriate dean for approval. This process can be completed electronically. Additionally, you and the instructor will decide on a plan-for-completion for the 40% or less of course material left to complete. While waiting for the work to be completed, the instructor will assign an incomplete grade on the grade roster.  

Please note: If you are a participant of the Accessibility Center, please notify them of the change to an incomplete grade and send them a copy of the incomplete contract so that your accommodations can officially be extended. 

For Spring 2020, incomplete grades can get extended time for completion, from one semester to three. Please know, if you choose an incomplete and are not able to satisfy the agreed upon conditions in the plan for completion you made with your instructor by the deadline stipulated in your incomplete contract, your grade will revert to the default grade listed in the contract and will be calculated in your GPA. 

Check in with Financial Aid to see how the incomplete grade will impact your financial aid. 

I am getting a C. Should I take an Incomplete or switch to Satisfactory?

You may elect to take an incomplete if you believe you will be able to execute the agreed-upon plan-for-completion with a grade better than a C, especially if your program requires a B or better. If you choose an incomplete and are not able to complete the agreed-upon plan-of-completion, your grade will revert to the default grade listed in the contract and will be calculated in your GPA. For Spring 2020, incompletes can get extended time for completion, from one semester to three.  All work must be completed, and your final grade entered no later than the date stipulated in your incomplete contract. If you do not believe you will be able to complete your class, converting your C to an S will allow you to still receive a passing grade, without a C bringing down your GPA, and you can move forward with your coursework at the college.

What are the next steps to withdraw?

Check with the Financial Aid and Scholarships offices at FinancialAid@ccd.edu or Scholarships@ccd.edu prior to withdrawing from any classes as this could affect your financial aid award and you may have to repay awards. Veterans should consult with the VA Certifying Official at VeteranServices@ccd.edu prior to withdrawing from a course, as it may impact your VA education and housing benefits.

Can I Extend My Payment Plan?

CCD will consider extended payment plans for Spring 2020 term through August 31, 2020 only for students who request it. You may extend your payment plan time to pay until August 31, 2020. All spring term 2020 tuition must be paid in full by August 31, 2020. To request an extension to your payment plan, contact the Cashier’s Office at BusinessOffice@ccd.edu.