Is Online Learning the Right Choice for Me?
As a student of online or hybrid courses, you will notice many things are similar to that of a traditional student’s education—there are instructors, classmates, course materials, and assignments. However, while online and hybrid environments offer much more flexibility, they require more self-direction and self-discipline from you. Certain work habits, learning styles and skills contribute to a successful online or hybrid learning experience.
Successful online and hybrid students
- are able to use technology properly and comfortable with computers,
- are able to participate in classes at least three times per week,
- are self-disciplined and capable of planning time to study and time to complete assignments,
- are active learners,
- take notes as they study,
- commit six to nine hours per week per three-credit class,
- learn easily from reading and writing,
- enjoy communicating in writing and reading the writing of others,
- work with others easily to complete projects,
- communicate with instructors if problems arise, and
- are willing to share ideas, carefully consider responses to the sharing of others, and are prepared to occasionally have ideas challenged.